Tuesday, March 31, 2009

cReature of habit

Yesterday I met my friend Hayley for lunch at Panera Bread. I always order the same exact thing same thing from every resturant that I frequent more than once. The only visible problem this creates is that I know how every item I order should taste. As always I followed my eating routine, I ate my smoked turkey breast with lettuce and mayo only first. Then ate my fuji apple chicken salad. After a few bites of my normally delicious salad, I noticed that something was wrong. Maybe wrong is too harsh. I noticed that something was different. My mixed field greens and usually crisp romaine lettuce had been drowned in the vinaigrette! Even the chicken looked it had swallowed too much! I ate as much of the soggy salad as I could. Leaving behind the normal red onions companioned with the rippened tomatoes and this time with the drenched leaves that I couldn't stomach. I finish off my regular Panera lunch eating the insides of the baguette. But even the bread tasted strangely different to me! I ask Hayley if the bread tasted different to her, she gives me a strange look and says that she just ate the same bread and no it didn't taste "different". I hand her, as always, the outside of the baguette and ponder if the normal Panera patron would notice if something was wrong with the salad or baguette. Or if it's because I am semi-strange and picky and only order the same thing every time!!!

1 comment:

Karina B. said...

I'm so jealous that you have a Panera by you. Our institute group would go every week in New Jersey! The closest one to us is in Vegas. Oh well. I LOVE the caramel pecan brownies!!!!